Spending Realms as your local currency boosts local business and keeps money circulating locally. Saving Realms gives you a hedge against inflation as prices of Gold are set to rise big time. Buying Realms offsets your carbon emissions and helps tackle climate change.
Welcome to the Realm Exchange - the community currency service for local people living and working within a 25 mile radius of Lancaster, UK that helps boost small local businesses and at the same time neutralises our carbon emissions.
Who can benefit from joining the Realm Exchange?
- Local Businesses that employ local people, purchase some supplies or pay for some business services locally and want to increase their revenue from other local businesses or consumers
- Local Community Organisations and Charities who want to increase support from local business and reduce expenses from local suppliers
- Private Individuals who wish to boost their earning capacity through part time self-employment or extra wages and also wish to spend this extra income with local business or charities.
What exactly is a Realm and how do I exchange it?
- The Realm is a Complementary Community Currency that is created whenever members of this community convert their national currency into Realms at the current exchange rate. The Realm is linked to the price of Gold so that it can be converted back into Gold whenever a member of the community needs to exchange their local liquidity for national liquidity.This means that the value of our local currency will rise as the price of Gold rises against the £.
- When a member creates Realms they are creating an opportunity for the community as a whole. The number of times a Realm can be exchanged for trades is unlimited but it can never be spent outside the locality.This means that the local economy is boosted by keeping money circulating locally.
- A small percentage of every £ that is converted to Realms is spent on carbon sequestration - which is removing carbon dioxide from our atmosphere. This enables all members of the Realm Exchange to participate in the challenge to make Lancaster District Carbon Neutral for a sustainable and prosperous future.
The Realm Exchange is a financial service provided by Banking on Carbon Ltd and assisted by Transition City Lancaster Volunteers that has been set up to provide support to the idea of a more localised economy inspired by the Transition Towns Movement.